DIY content is a powerful tool for improving your website’s performance and attractiveness. Providing valuable do-it-yourself guides, tutorials, and tips can help your website attract and engage a wider audience while providing helpful content. This content is valuable to both users and search engines, making it a successful strategy that should definitely be part of your content planning.
Increase visibility with helpful DIY content
By integrating DIY content into your website, you can increase your brand awareness and visibility, improve user engagement, and increase customer loyalty. Not only will this show your customers that you know your work, but you’ll also show them that you’re willing to help them figure out what they can do on their own so they can save some money by fixing small problems themselves before calling a professional. When it comes time to bring in a professional, you’ve already established expertise and trust – who do you think they’ll call when they need help?
Homeowners are often looking for cost-effective solutions and practical advice for various household projects, repairs and improvements. By offering DIY content, a home services website can position itself as an authoritative resource and build trust with visitors. No home services company? That’s okay! There are numerous DIY content opportunities for every industry, from legal advice to home services and everything in between – even local SEO companies.
Here are a few ideas that can help drive relevant traffic:
- Legal – Quick guides to filing restraining orders, small claims cases, separation documents, or other paperwork. Information about obtaining a police report or medical record.
- photography – How to take a great selfie, candid photo or portrait. Tips for cell phone photography.
- Medical – How to treat common illnesses, fevers or injuries at home. How to determine whether a rash or injury can be treated at home or requires medical attention. Tips for using over-the-counter medications to treat common problems.
- Dental – How to best care for your mouth between visits, a DIY guide to preventing tooth decay, or how to best floss/brush/care for your teeth to avoid expensive dental treatments in the future.
- automobile – Tutorials on changing oil, checking tire pressure, adding fluids, jump-starting a car, and other quick maintenance tips are frequently searched for – why not direct these searchers to your website?
- Mental health – Calming techniques for anxiety, exercises to improve mood or achieve restful sleep, breathing exercises and helpful tips to relieve anxiety/depression, etc.
- Pest control – Tips for identifying common pests, how to get rid of common pests, how to protect your garden from grasshoppers, how to mouse-proof your kitchen, and how to keep spiders away when the weather cools are all commonly searched terms that can drive traffic.
- Landscaping – How to keep your lawn green all summer, rid your garden of common pests, how to prune shrubs and trees, and tips and tricks for seasonal tree care or garden maintenance.
- Electric – Offer tutorials for simple tasks like replacing an outlet or light switch, connecting a new doorbell, replacing a light fixture, and installing a ceiling fan. These are relatively simple projects that are often carried out in parallel with larger projects. Teach them to do the simple things so they’ll call you when it’s time to replace the panel!
- installation – How to unclog a drain or toilet, replace a faucet, or turn off your water in an emergency. Having a quick guide during a crisis is invaluable, and they will remember you when they want to hire someone for a larger job.
- Home Services – Regular maintenance guide, tips for painting a bedroom, easy parts replacement, and other projects that are safe for even non-professionals to complete.
Boost your rankings, increase traffic, and attract leads with DIY content
DIY content can also help foster a sense of community by encouraging users to share their experiences and participate in discussions, thereby increasing user engagement, link sharing, and website traffic. Additionally, well-optimized DIY content can improve a website’s search engine rankings, attract more organic traffic, and attract potential customers seeking expert advice on their home projects.
When writing or filming DIY content, remember to remind your audience that they can always stop and call you for help if it gets too much for them. It’s also helpful to give people tips on when it’s time to leave the project and bring in a professional. Projects that require specialized tools, knowledge, or safety equipment are good examples that it’s time to hang up the tool belt and call in a professional.